Category Archives: Community

Public library sponsors movie day

The Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library will be having a movie day on March 25. The library is offering free admission and popcorn.

“The Theory of Everything” is the movie being shown. A story about the famously known physicist Stephen Hawking.

The movie is based on a memoir written by Hawking’s wife, Jane, titled, “Traveling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen.”

With a budget of 15 million dollars, the movie ended up making almost eight times as much as it cost to produce. The final price made in the box office was 114.6 million dollars.

The movie stars Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking and Felicity Jones as Stephen Hawking’s wife, Jane. The film also has Charlie Cox, Emily Watson, Simon McBurney, Christian McKay and David Thewlis, who all have important supporting parts.

“The Theory of Everything” has a runtime of 123 minutes.

The film was nominated four times for a Golden Globe award but only won two. The film won a Golden Globe for Best Actor and Best Original Score.

21st Screen Actors Guild Awards nominated the movie three times, and it ended up winning the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role.

Also, the movie was nominated 10 times in the British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA), and won awards for Outstanding British Film, Best Leading Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Redmayne went on to win many awards for his role as Stephen and also starred in “The Pillars of the Earth” and on BBC’s “Birdsong.” More recently, Redmayne had a role in the 2015 movie “Jupiter Ascending,” alongside actress Mila Kunis.

Jones has been on many different shows and in many different movies, such as “The Treasure Seekers” (1996) and “Like Crazy” (2011).

The screenwriter, Anthony McCarten, has been interested in Hawking since 1988 when he read Hawking’s book, “A Brief History of Time.” Then, when McCarten read Jane Hawking’s memoir, “Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen,” in 2004, he began to create a screenplay that followed the book.

Advertisements

Woodland hosts carnival for students

The staff of Woodland Elementary joined together with PTSA to host a fun, family-friendly dance on Feb. 11.

The dance included a variety of activities for students, parents and teachers to enjoy. In the art room, volunteers from the high school’s National Honors Society chapter painted faces and oversaw board games as well as helped sell pizza, tickets and water.

The gymnasium was decorated with festive banners and lights to create a fun dancing space where the kids could dance. There was also a DJ to help emcee the event as well as lead the dances like The Cupid Shuffle. At one point during the night, there was also a school-wide limbo contest.

Spike the Bulldog also made a special appearance during the night. While he was mostly seen over by the music room taking pictures and in the hallway giving high-fives, Spike also helped lead everyone in dancing The Cotton Eyed Joe and The Cha-Cha Slide.

“I’m really glad the PTSA and teachers helped put this event together,” said senior Courtney Herring. “I remember when I used to go to these things when I was [in elementary school], and now I realize how much [effort] it takes to put something like this together.”

The volunteers that helped with the event, both student and parent, rarely had a chance to stand still. Chaperones had to keep a close eye to make sure every event ran smoothly.

“I’ve been a part of Student Council for awhile, so planning dances and organizing committees is nothing new to me,” senior Brittany Lytton said. “Of course, when you’re working with really little kids, it adds a whole new dimension to things. I think it’s funny how [at the high school] the biggest problem is how many people are grinding. At [Woodland],  the biggest problem is people screaming in the hallway.  I was supposed to be giving away tickets for a free raffle, but most of my time was spent telling kids to use their inside voices unless they were in the gymnasium.”

Despite all of the time, energy, and effort it takes to organize the family dances, the effort always seems worth in the end.

“These dances really take it out of you, but when you see the kids get excited about pizza or games or something like that, [it is] worth it,” senior Molly Divine said.

Memories are being created as well as a  stronger community. Woodland and PTSA, as well as the other elementary schools, look forward to organizing more fun events like these in the future.

Freezing temperatures allow calamity days and city warming center

Temperature highs for the area are staying within the single digits, and with factors, such as wind chill, temperatures are plummeting into negative double digits, reaching as low as -25 degrees.

The City of Stow has opened a temporary Warming Center for Stow residents who have no where else to go or whose heat is malfunctioning.

According to a press release, the Warming Center is in the Community Room at the Stow Safety Building, which is located at 3800 Darrow Road. People will be able to visit the center now through Feb. 21 at noon. One may contact the City of Stow at 330.689.2700 for more information regarding the Warming Center.

According to Stow’s local news station, 19 Action News, weather conditions should return to normal ranges by Saturday.

The school district called a calamity day for today, Thurs. Feb. 19, as well as many other districts in the vicinity. During a call on Wed., Feb. 18, Superintendent Thomas Bratten told families to “make contingency plans” for a possible school closure on Fri., Feb. 20.

On Thurs., Feb. 19, a call went out, informing students and their families of school cancellation for Friday.

The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill advisory for Summit County, which will remain in effect until 8 p.m. this evening. A wind chill warning will remain in effect from 8 tonight to noon on Fri., Feb. 20. According to The Weather Channel, wind chills will reach as low as 25 to 30 below, with temperatures at 16 below overnight. Wind gusts may reach up to 25 mph.

These temperatures create a dangerous environment for exposed skin. The National Weather Service advises people to dress warm and avoid long exposure to the cold as the low temperatures can cause hypothermia and frostbite.

Corner Cup Coffeehouse opens in Stow

The Family Video at the intersection of Graham and Fishcreek has stood by itself for a substantial amount of time. Now, the building prepares to share its space with a brand new and independently owned coffee shop.

The Corner Cup Coffee House is the culmination of many years of big dreams and a couple of years of hard work.

The Corner Cup’s owner, Heather Ciranna, is an alumni of the high school. It was here, she said, that her first plans for a local coffee shop first began when she was fourteen-years-old. She says her personal relationship with her teachers and activities greatly affected who she is.

“My dad was an American History teacher at the high school. His name was Bill Blank. [My dad always being there] was one of my biggest memories, and I love that. I was in the marching band; I am a band geek to the core. I played the flute and the piccolo starting in the fourth grade and loved what I learned. I was also in the show choir, The Notables, as well as two musicals. [In short], I always loved the arts,” Ciranna said.

After high school, Ciranna attended Cleveland State University and obtained a degree in Business. She worked several jobs before deciding to become a small business owner, but the climax leading up to that started far before college.

“I always had this idea for this ‘funky little coffee house’ that had it’s own vibe and was a place where people could just come by and hang out, so it has always been something in the back of my mind that I thought I would do when I retired. I started this journey to make my shop a reality about two and a half years ago, now, and I [have not] looked back since,” Ciranna said.

Ciranna owes the inspiration of her “entrepreneurial spirit,” as she calls it, to the small business she worked for in high school.

“Every stage of life has an influence, not just a single mentor. When I ‘got the bug’ [to actually start up The Corner Cup Coffee House, it was when I was working for Lexi-Comp in Hudson. Their owner, Bob Kerscher, was such a passionate entrepreneur. He was passionate about making sure to ‘work to live’ and not ‘live to work’ and loving what you do. It gave me the power to do what I do,” Ciranna said.

Ciranna also has hopes for other small business owners and for those who aspire to be entrepreneurs.

“Believe in yourself, because that is the first ingredient for believing what you do. Also, you [do not know] what you [do not know]. Figure out what it is you need to know, and surround yourself with people who can help you. Ask questions and then listen to the answers. You have to have a mindset and the willingness to learn, including when people tell you ‘that is a hair-brained idea and you need to correct that.’ [Albeit], when you get it right, the response and support you get is overwhelming,” Ciranna said.

Ciranna professes that the main reason she is bringing The Corner Cup Coffee House to life is so that she can give back to the community. Besides offering itself as a cozy community gathering spot with a wide array of beverages, The Corner Cup will also be selling baked goods from other local shop owners around Northeast Ohio. Any money given to small businesses will eventually find itself circulated back into the city. There are also plans to showcase local artists and singers by means of art shows and live music performances.

Support small businesses. Keep up to date on what’s going on at The Corner Cup Coffeehouse. Check out the website, http://www.cornercupstow.com, and social media outlets, facebook.com/cornercupstow and @cornercupstow, to get great insight on store developments and menu updates.